How much does a borehole cost in the UK
Borehole cost will vary according to local geology and the size of hole
Typically, a basic 60 metre borehole (the average depth of a borehole) including the installation of a borehole pump and pressure vessel will cost somewhere in the region of £10,000- £15,000 with an annual running cost of £50-£600 dependent on water usage.
Borehole Hole Size
There are 3 popular hole sizes currently being drilled in gritstone areas (the geology in many parts of West Yorkshire, Derbyshire, East Lancashire, Richmondshire and Northumberland contains high levels of grit-stone). Prices updated in June 2020.
- 4 inch hole costs in the region of £11,500 plus VAT
- 6 inch hole costs in the region of £12.600 plus VAT
- 8 inch hole costs in the region of £16,500 plus VAT
As a general rule, where the borehole is being drilled in a gritstone area:
- an 8 inch hole may require less filtration than will be needed on a 6 or 4 inch hole, especially in areas where there is high iron. However, this cannot be guaranteed. UV and pre-filtration will probably be needed if the water is to be used for drinking and bathing.
- A 6 inch hole will probably require some form of iron and manganese reduction filtration. UV and pre-filtration will almost certainly be needed if the water is to be used for drinking and bathing.
- A 4 inch hole, with a 3 inch pump will provide enough water for a single property in most gritstone areas and will probably require an iron and manganese reduction along with a UV and pre-filter.
Quotes should include
The quotation will include costs relating to mobilisation of the rig, labour, ancillary equipment and support vehicles. All boreholes will include the necessary liners, grouting and casings.
Following the drilling of the hole, our water test specialist will visit site and carry out a basic water test. This is free of charge. In some cases, the results from the basic test will not provide all of the necessary information, in which case a more detailed test will be required. The results of the tests will dictate what filtration, if any, is needed.