We have received a letter from the Council saying that we have coliforms in the water, what does it mean?

We have received a letter from the Council saying that we have coliforms in the water, what does it mean?

E.coli and Coliforms are “Indicators” which means they provide evidence that harmful contaminants are getting into the water. E.coli (0157) can, and does seriously harm people, however other viruses are just as lethal e.g. Cryptosporidium. A failed water test is a clear indicator that you need to do something about your drinking water and that there is a risk to public health – that is why the Environmental Health Department will have sent you a letter, suggesting you take steps to make improvements.

New Private Water Supply Regulations – pdf »
– what do they mean for owners and consumers?

 

Why should we treat our spring water if we only drink bottled water?

Why should we treat our spring water if we only drink bottled water?

Using bottled water as the main drinking supply to the house can be very costly. (in some instances, litre per litre, branded bottled water can be as expensive as petrol). Unlike drinking spring water, buying bottled water is not very environmentally friendly. On the whole, filtered spring water will taste better than bottled water. In part this is due to spring water being well aerated (contains elevated levels of oxygen) and a low pH adds a natural sweetness to water.

As part of the property search, potential buyers are often alerted to the dangers of drinking untreated water

As part of the property search, potential buyers are often alerted to the dangers of drinking untreated water

I don’t want my spring water tasting like town water. Does filtering water alter its taste?

I don’t want my spring water tasting like town water. Does filtering water alter its taste?

When people complain about the taste of “town water” they are normally referring to the taste imparted by chlorine (the same chemical used to treat swimming pools) used by the water companies. Chlorine is very rarely used to treat spring or borehole water, the system of choice being UV Disinfection. UV gets rid of all harmful bacteria without altering the taste of the water or removing any of its healthy minerals.

In the event of a fault, the UV TAG will fail to safe, shutting off the water if required and then sending an alarm message via telemetry

In the event of a fault, the UV TAG will fail to safe, shutting off the water if required and then sending an alarm message via telemetry

We have been drinking the water from our spring for many years without any problems with illness, why should i get the water treated?

We have been drinking the water from our spring for many years without any problems with illness, why should i get the water treated?

There is no scientific evidence to support the claim that people who regularly drink contaminated water build up an immunity to harmful bacteria. Even if we did build up an immunity to one particular type of contaminant, for example E.coli, that would not necessarily mean we would be immune to the harmful effects of drinking water containing other types of contaminant, for example cryptosporidium. Even if you believe you have built up an immunity to some of the bacteria in the water, other people visiting your property may be at risk, especially the young, the aged or people who do not enjoy good health.

Should i get my spring water tested?

Should i get my spring water tested?

We are often asked about water testing. I have enclosed a typical response in the hope that some people will find it helpful.

Private water supply water testing in Calderdale and the North of England

“With regard to your spring, if it is a true spring then it may not require filtration. However, true springs are very rare and most springs can best be described as surface derived sources. Even if the water comes from deep underground (which is unlikely) it may be mixed with surface water.
Bacteria can live in water for up to 3 months. So, the question is, can your ‘spring’ water get into your drinking tap within 3 months. Assuming the answer is yes, then from a risk assessment point of view you can assume that the water will fail to meet the standards for microbiological contamination. With regard to testing, research tells us that the quality of a surface derived source is determined by the prevailing weather conditions. This in effect means you could test in the morning and get a microbiological pass and test in the evening and get a fail.
However, one contaminant in water tends to remain the same throughout the year and that is pH. Anything below 7 means that your water is likely to cause corrosion of your copper pipes and hot water cylinder and lead to green / blue staining of fixtures and fittings.
Both microbiological contamination and pH are easily treated. We would however recommend a free of charge site survey before we provide a quotation as the type of equipment will vary according to water usage, space available and the overall quality of the water.”